Do I need to complete the Math Placement Process?
Successfully completing a math course in your first year is important for your academic success.
Most students should study and complete either the Math Placement Tool or the Math Challenge Exam before Ram Orientation so that they can
- register for appropriate courses during orientation.
- develop a plan with their major adviser or academic support coordinator for completing the appropriate math in their first year at CSU.
What are the Math Placement Tool and the Math Challenge Exam?
- The Math Placement Tool is an interactive assessment of your math preparation. It can be completed from home through a browser. Based on your results, you may become eligible to register for a Precalculus or Calculus course.
- The Math Challenge Exam is a proctored placement exam. It must be completed in our Testing Center, or under the supervision of an authorized proctor. This exam provides the same results as the Math Placement Tool, but students can also earn course credit in one or more Precalculus courses if their results demonstrate mastery of course material.
Use this short online tool to determine whether or not you need to complete the Math Placement Tool or Math Challenge Exam.
You should also check Math Requirements for Specific Majors (PDF).
- Have I completed at least one Mathematics or Statistics course at a college in Colorado with a grade of C- or higher?